Monday, October 26, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays...


Farm children are taught to never curse the rain. The reason is of course, once you complain about it, it stops. Generally speaking, agriculture has evolved to the point where it's easier to cope with too much than too little. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has perhaps pushed that generalization to the breaking point this year. I consider myself to be pretty capable at 'making work', but even I'm starting to run short on loose ends to tie up.

My 2IC (2nd in command) and I finished patching up the 8103 Air Spreader this morning. It has been a bit of an extended project, starting last week when a steering tie-rod failed while out on a job and ending two visits from the field repair tech and an emergency trip to Batavia for parts later. Keeping the old girl moving is half of the challenge of fall fertilizer season, I think.

It's hard not to be a bit depressed about the state of things at the moment. Between the issues with the weather, the hard luck our customer base is encountering, and the almost never-ending glitch list our machinery provides... Well, I guess it's best to remember the old saying 'If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.'

On a more personal note, I've learned from my reading of 'Les Mis' that Monseigneur Bienvenu can host ten visitors, or eleven, if he cares to stand. *Grin* Hugo is nothing if not attentive to the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment